View Single Post
Old 12-08-14, 04:03 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default On the future of Steel Beasts Pro

eSim's Ssnake has given this information three weeks ago at the fine forums of simHQ:

Quote:
Well, we'll be releasing the final update for SB Pro PE 3.0 in December (this will incorporate the new network stack that we tested in the open beta in the last nine months, include a 64 bit executable, and will bring a number of bug fixes; also you may notice a bit of an improvement in the navigation of infantry formations).

Aside from that there is a bit of an outward calm I suppose. Not sure if I would call it the calm before a hurricane, though. We have a number of tasks running that will bring substantial changes in the future, but it's more on the "foundation laying & plumbing" side. Just like with a construction site there may not happen a lot initially as far as you expect to see a finished edifice with a nice garden. Yet it's equally if not more important to get the infrastructure in place before you order the marble pillars.

And I'll be honest, this will keep us occupied for some time. I don't think we'll have the next major release ready by the end of 2015. It may well be until spring or summer 2016 before you get to see the results. As much as I would like to get a small update in ... say, around summer 2015 ... the reality is that the necessary beta tests and code consolidation phases consume a terrible amount of manpower. We simply can't afford that so often.
It has been a silent 2014, 2015 will be silent as well, and 2016, at least most of it, will be silent, too.

Which must not be seen as something negative. It means that what there resides in the meanwhile cannot get broken by premature releases.