View Single Post
Old 05-05-10, 04:01 PM   #13
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by itman
Could I just copy over the files from patch-april or is some more tweaking required?
This is regards to RFB 2.0 and it's latest patch of 23April2010. I'm afraid more tweaking is required.

I hadn't noticed the latest patch (as of this morning), the base RFB 2.0 post had not yet been updated from the March patch. I did find it further down the thread and checked it out. I see what differences the latest patch makes compared to MaxOptics and I've just about completed a compatible version for it. The camera.dat file has been changed significantly regarding the parameter "Angular Angle". The Angular Angle refers to the general "field of view" of the various stations. In short the latest patch decreases the field of view (what you can see from left to right within a given specific area) which will create a more magnified view if left alone without additional zoom magnification. I've not read the specific reason for the departure from stock or past RFB's modifications, but I'm guessing it may be an attempt to use the Telemeter (hash marks) for their intended purpose at the periscope's and TBT views.

My plan is to release a compatible MaxOptics version, not disturbing the RFB intent and yet still provide an optical supplement that will provide a higher magnification when you want it. A little more testing and I'll release it.

I've been working on a modification to do exactly this same thing (use the Telemeter marks to accurately find range and AoB). The first and foremost task is to have the "view" you use to accurately display what you should be able to measure. I'll admit the stock game is inaccurate in this endeavor. Mainly because mast heights or given ship lengths are wrong for the game to use. That's why I modded the SCAF fix, correcting the various reference point 'heights" the game uses for manual range finding. More importantly, I've been finding views determined by such parameters as Angular Angle are wrong too!! The math just isn't adding up as it should be.

For instance, one degree of angle, at 1000 yards should cover the distance of 52.3 feet, and should do this at ANY magnification. Not so with the stock game. Does RFB? I don't know, and really I'm not looking to correct them if it doesn't. I'm just planning on paddling my own boat and I don't plan to paddle theirs.

Anyway, give me a day or two to complete a compatible version for the latest patch.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote