View Single Post
Old 11-25-16, 10:44 PM   #2749
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
approx. 1/3 between Marshall islands and Guam picked up a sub chaser, whaler and 4 (I think) whalechasers all in a row. Let the sub chaser go by and put 4 into the whaler sinking her and tried one torpedo each into the next two whalechasers but missed. Not much of a reaction out of the sub chaser.

The visual contacts didn't quite match up to what I found when working the sonar as in the order of the column but don't know if that's to be 100% accurate anyway realistically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
@Propbeanie yes still June '42. Prior to the encounter I had 2 contacts show up on the navigation map SW of where I was and one was a task force and the other was listed as a single warship. They popped up almost overlapping and that was where I was heading. Those two tiny land masses almost 130 degrees from Guam was where they popped up. I have a screenshot of it but not sure how to attach one.
OK Sniper450, we're back to your encounter of the strange kind... Here's a screen shot from the Mission Editor with the 42a_Jap_Merchants.mis file loaded:

Does the area look about right? That's Guam to the upper LEFT and Kolonia in the lower right, with two small merchant groups routed through your area. There are no other groups, merchant or warship, that go through the area in the early to mid 1942 time frame. This really leads me to believe that you had the beginnings of a run-away spawn incident, and then that caused the bad save that you got... This particular file is a bit of a trouble maker...

Edit: Unfortunately, I gave you a screen shot of "Stock" v1.5... not FotRS, though the groups are still the same. This particular file though in FotRS Ultimate has had a lot of "automatic" editing, and not of all of it is good. We'll have to really dig into a few of these files big time. In the meantime, I did find a bad "call" for one of the Whaling groups that had a Corvette we were trying to make into a Frigate. That generally doesn't work too well, and will cause issues... This will be in a patch for the v.30

Additional: I have found a whaling group almost as you described Sniper450, to the East and North of those Merchant RGG in that illustration. Whale factory with 4 chasers and an improperly called AuxSubchaser, along with a Catapult ship, all supposed in single file. They originate (spawn) near the Antarctica Circle Southeast of New Zealand and come up that way toward Japan, but just 'disappear' West of Guam, like the MIS file wasn't finished. There are a few other RGG that are like, which might explain some -SOME- of the disappearing ship reports we've gotten. Going back to my digging...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-26-16 at 03:14 PM. Reason: again with the spelling... and additional info. LEFT!!!
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote