View Single Post
Old 01-02-15, 08:26 PM   #32
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutzthedeal View Post
Great responses, thank you. Hey, I have really enjoyed these YouTube vids (especially some of the awkward humor), but for me, it's like getting into verb conjugation on the first day of an introductory French class. I'm starting to wonder if this stuff can actually be dumbed-down enough for me to find the first few rungs of the ladder! PS I know why they have to do psych. profiles on potential submariners now. Takes a special character imo.
Say what? Verb conjugation? I'm just a simple paramedic. English isn't my best skill.

At any rate, I have scanned through the previous posts and I don't think anyone has mentioned the 3:15 trick to get both speed and heading on a target. It was probably one of the best tricks I picked up on from other members of this forum.

The application is simple: Find a target and get his position relative to your boat. The next thing you need to do is put a mark at the end of the contact line. Pull up your stopwatch and start it. After 3 minutes 15 seconds, place another mark on the contact line. Grab your ruler and measure the distance between the two points and that will give you a fairly accurate speed, and his heading.

Example: Target spotted bearing 210, long range; place mark. Start watch and wait 3:15. Place second mark. Distance between marks measures 8000. This gives an approximate speed of 8 kts. At the same time, draw another overlapping line that extends past the original. This gives a target heading of 180.

Now if you are using automatic targeting, the speed and heading are irrelevant to your actual firing, but once you know the speed and heading, this will tell you where your proper firing position will be, and roughly how fast the target is moving to your intercept point.

If I have made any errors in my math, please feel free to correct me.

Last edited by Hambone307; 01-02-15 at 08:46 PM.
Hambone307 is offline   Reply With Quote