View Single Post
Old 08-20-17, 12:13 PM   #8
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
There was a TV movie called Mission of the Shark, with Stacy Keach and Richard Thomas. Low budget, and I had a few technical complaints, but overall it wasn't bad. It also includes the Captain's court martial.

The Japanese captain who torpedoed Indianapolis spoke at Captain McVay's trial, so his boat wasn't sunk.

Good comments. Yes, I-58 survived the war and was surrendered by Capt. Hashimoto. If it was sunk at all it was in a post-WWII training exercise, like they did with some decommissioned UBoats. But Conway's Fighting Ships definitely says I-58 was NOT a wartime loss.

I liked "Mission of the Shark" too. Low budget, but the model of the indy they used was adequate, IIRC. It really showed the chaos of abandoning ship, and the misery of waiting for rescue, in my opinion.

I have been wondering if the bow and stern have both been found? It looks like the bow probably was located.... judging by the picture of the anchor and the pennant number 35. Several accounts say she was blown in two (not in half, but broken off in front of the bow turrets - maybe 20% of the ship). It would be interesting if Ken Marschall or another artist could paint a portrait of the wreckage distribution - he has done excellent ones for Bismarck and Titanic.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote