Thread: Catan VR
View Single Post
Old 06-13-18, 04:57 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Catan VR

Usually I am not into table board games a la Risk, Monopoly and the likes, it snot my cup of tea - but Sewttlers of Catan is an exception, on rare occasions when I meet with real people and was asked to play it with them (befriended families, that are). Its a really cool board game.

There have been several computer incarnations for it, some for AI play, some for MP. The last one I knew, Creators Edition, actually I liked quite well, I was never haunted by the many technical issues many people reported, and it had a good editor as well. But it is no longer supported.

Now, from Oculus Store the VR implementation found its way to Steam today. And what should I say: it is a terrific new attempt. The interface is marvelous and works spot on, the visual ambience and the board itself are really immersive, the handling intuitive, and the AI I found to be quite challenging in the two test games I did. It has MP with voice chat, but that is not my interest, i did not test it.

Its just the core game so far, and I hope it gets the KnightsCities expansiuons as well, and the Seafahrer. The editor of the Creators Edition would be nice, too. But so far, as the base game that it is, it is well-done. Very well done, I cannot avoid to storngly reocmmend this. It is a board game conversion - but one that is extremely competently done.

There are two room environments, several paintigns sets for the pictures ont he walls, and two ways to depict the play board: one that is very lcose to the pieces-and-hexes of the board agme, and one that allows more visual freedom in interpretation by the 3D artists.

For VR players, I rate this title almost as a must. Superb both as a game and a VR title!

If you do not know Catan, but like family board games, this game is strongly recommended for checking out anyway.