View Single Post
Old 05-23-08, 02:20 PM   #743
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis

This is supposed to be a realism mod. The problems you describe all sound realistic to me.
A few things to know:
1) There were no range-finding tools on the obs-scope IRL.
2) Even if there had been you wouldn't be able to use them to get very accurate ranges at long distances.
3) From the vantage point offered by a scope, the horizon IRL is just a few km away.

If a target/convoy comes -unexpectedly- into view and you submerge to avoid being detected (good thinking) and then try to get a rough fix on it's position using the attack scope (good thinking) and then find you're not in an attacking position and can't get into position before the target has moved on... then welcome to realism. The best thing to do here is wait for it to vanish from sight, surface, and then flank it. You should be able to find it easily, and then you'll be able to position yourself perfectly for the attack.

If the target is moving too fast for you to flank it, bad luck.

HTH
OLC
Thanks for the reply. Personally, I like the changes you made to the contact display. I think it increases the realism quite a bit. However, I am surprised that the German U-Boat designers didn't include any type of range finding reticle for the observation periscope...especially given the time it would take in reality to switch from observation periscope to attack periscope. The capability to do so was certainly within the state of the technology.

Oh well, truth be told, my tonnage before was too high for realism anyway. Perhaps more missed opportunities will bring it down a bit more, or at least extend the duration of patrols.

(I'm not quite sure, should I be or ?)
sabretwo is offline   Reply With Quote