Old 05-23-08, 06:41 AM   #738
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretwo
OLC,

First, thanks for producing one of the greatest mods yet for Sh3! You've created a masterpiece that takes immersion up to the highest level.

After a few nights playing with your new Ubermod 2.3, I have one suggestion...

Can you include some type of ranging tool for use with the observation periscope (maybe similar to the one on the UZO or a variation of the one on the attack periscope)? With the elimination of visible contact updates, I am trying to manually plot the bearing of visual contacts early as they appear and its very difficult to get an accurate distance estimate at long range with the attack periscope owing to its new fixed magnification. By the time I can get several distance/bearing plots made to determine its course, its too late for me to maneuver to a good interception point and finalize my torpedo data with the OLC tools.

If I'm on the surface at night, no big deal. I just continue to make my plots as the ship passes by and catch up further down the road. If I am submerged during day, its a now or never deal (unless I feel like risking detection on the surface to get ahead of the target).

Just a thought.

Again, Thanks for all the time you put into this mod!
This is supposed to be a realism mod. The problems you describe all sound realistic to me.
A few things to know:
1) There were no range-finding tools on the obs-scope IRL.
2) Even if there had been you wouldn't be able to use them to get very accurate ranges at long distances.
3) From the vantage point offered by a scope, the horizon IRL is just a few km away.

If a target/convoy comes -unexpectedly- into view and you submerge to avoid being detected (good thinking) and then try to get a rough fix on it's position using the attack scope (good thinking) and then find you're not in an attacking position and can't get into position before the target has moved on... then welcome to realism. The best thing to do here is wait for it to vanish from sight, surface, and then flank it. You should be able to find it easily, and then you'll be able to position yourself perfectly for the attack.

If the target is moving too fast for you to flank it, bad luck.

HTH
OLC