View Single Post
Old 09-13-17, 09:39 AM   #27
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Was Netscape the one that could run from the Comman Line, back in Win31 days? I can't remember, but I ~think~ my first forays were with Netscape 3.0... ?? Before that, I'd been doing a C-64 with bbs software.

In the meantime, I have been using Vivaldi for a few days now, and I do like it. It is very similar to Opera, but better. Like a cross between Opera and Firefox, only faster and seemingly more stable. No issues thus far. No bad page loads or anything. I don't know about their "security", but I haven't had pop-ups when going to some of the sites that will generate those in Firefox and / or IE11 (both with "pop-up blockers")...
It was Netscape Navigator, the first graphical web browser that changed the world from the text-based Gopher evolution that was the WWW to the absolute killer app we have today. I'll never forget using Netscape Navigator 4.7 I think the version was, to download Pathfinder photos from Mars, taking an hour to download one or two images, marveling that I could go to Microsoft's Terraserver to see satellite photos of any spot on the entire planet!

Yes it took 20 minutes to assemble the mosaic to view a page, but the detail from space was breathtaking. I could see my house! Yes, Microsoft scooped Google Earth by ten years and just tossed it all in the garbage, leaving the territory to Google. Surrendered without a fight.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote