Thread: Subsim Truckers
View Single Post
Old 04-20-14, 11:40 AM   #37
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
You might think I am a cynical old fart, you might be right.
Cynical old fart is redundant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
I hope that Neal has a good trainer who can show him how to jam gears without the clutch. There's no feeling like it.
It's ok Neal. Gears are just numbers. All you have to do is remember which number you're running in at any given moment.
I just PM'd ONKEL about 'floating the gears' on the tack and engine sounds 'till it becomes a subconscious thing; leaves ya free to worry about important stuff! Had to retrain all my just out-of-driver-school co-drivers not to use the double-clutch method except in first or reverse to save popping the clutch which leads to repair$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Do you want to tell me that of all countries you guys in the country of "What is the third pedal for? I only know how to use two!" still run manualy shifted trucks?
Absolutely! All my cars are still stick too, and I had to teach my daughter and a few of the young ladies too; just so they can escape in a bad date's ol' pick-up if they gotta! You put it to them 'that way' and they do want to know-plus the 'Lady' roadsters (BMW Z3's, Alphas, Miatas) are just more fun in stick here in CA! Plus on the great passes, going downhill fully freighted was more about downshifting and ballet-style brake-pad temperature control in a 40 mile descent with 6-10% grade as on Donner than any thing else(no compressor brake) and is meticulously choreographed, with brakes adjusted, with road signs to advise the big-rigs. I used to talk the novices through it on the CB if I saw they were badly over-tapping their brakes for instance. I preferred slushy winter descents-kept every thing very COOL!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote