View Single Post
Old 01-03-10, 12:40 AM   #70
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Personally I like the idea, need two slots open for dive planes.In stock I remember gar/tambors would have one sailor sitting at dive planes when placed in slots, looked damn silly, very important station that needs to be manned.I always move most of my deck watch into the control room when I dive anyway.Sure it can be a pain but from everything I read the control room was not fully manned on each watch, the OOD and lookouts slid down the ladder and took out.Chief on watch prob began the process by opening vents and all.
That's pretty much how it worked in reality. From all of my research, this is how I gather the conning tower and control room watches worked:
  • Sonar: the WCA sonar unit was typically not manned while on the surface, unless the CO ordered otherwise. When submerged, one man would man the right-hand set of controls. At GQ, a second man would man the left-hand set of controls.
  • Radar: SJ radar was manned on the surface only or at radar depth.
  • The Junior Officer of the Deck (JOOD) was stationed either in the conning tower or on the bridge while surfaced. Upon submerging the JOOD would assume the role of diving officer and move to the control room, and the OOD would take his place in the conning tower.
  • The helmsman typically steered the boat from the conning tower. From what I can gather, the steering station in the control room was used only in emergencies.
  • The chief petty officer of the watch was typically either CPO or 1st class machinist whose watch station was at the Xmas tree in the control room.
  • As described above, there was an EM at the switchboard and either a machinist or fireman at the ballast controls.
  • The dive planes were manned by the lookouts when either (a) the boat was submerged or (b) the boat was at GQ.
Note that I did not mention anything about the navigator. Contrary to what SH4's interiors show, there was not a chart desk in the control room, at least in the Gato and later boats.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote