View Single Post
Old 03-21-17, 08:27 AM   #25
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
What a find! Not the usual collector's car (of course who knows at the time of manufacture and for at least 10 years after what will be collectible) so it's amazing that it's been preserved so perfectly. It is better than most of its sisters were in 1961.

Hows the availability of non-alcohol fuel? And how does it tolerate unleaded fuel? Must be some nice stories about dealing with all that. In my area non-alcohol fuel doesn't command the hideous prices it did a year ago and is fairly available.

Great find and now we know at least one piece of history that will be properly preserved!
Right off the bat it's a 4 door. Everyone wants 2 doors. But, these are getting hard to find and are expensive when found. So the Buick sedan is not on the top of the list for collector cars. But, it gets the nod, thumbs up, horn honking and waving. It's a sled.

The car has had 3 owners and lived it's life in Altoona PA. A majority of it as a garage queen. The previous owners did not drive it much as all. From the looks of it just around Altoona that is no bigger than a postage stamp. This accounts for the low mileage. The brake pedal wear(of which there is none) is a sure indicator the 30,000 miles is legit.

There is no corn free gas were I live. I did a quick check under the hood(will tidy it up later) and it appears the rubber fuel line has been replaced with hose that can handle the corn gas. I will check the other rubber lines to the tank. I will rebuild the carb with a newer rubber produced kit. She needs the high octane for the 10:1 compression. I run the 1954 on low octane for the 8:1 compression. Both run fine on corn fuel but the 54 vapor locked once from the corn fuel. Knock on wood because some guys experience vapor lock all the time.

Concerning how she runs on corn, for a 2 ton car she squats and goes when the pedal is mashed. The 401 325 hp is a strong motor. The Dynaflow transmission(many call DynaSlow) is very responsive IMO.

She will remain as you see her with exception of replacing the parts that normally wear or deteriorate.

True survivor.