View Single Post
Old 04-27-07, 12:37 PM   #5
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

This might help Karl-Heinz

This is a edited version of a PM to Gapman that I sent him. It might help you? Basically I removed my cell #.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Now to your problem of being "STUCK"
This is how I handle RAR files [They are a major pain in the ass - wish they would use the ZIP format] Anyway:

Go to this website and download the program called ExtractNow. It makes unpacking RAR files EASY to work with. here you go - the download link is WAY at the bottom of the page:

http://www.extractnow.com/

Next, I assume, you downloaded and installed JSGME correctly. In order to prepare to use the mods >>> YOU <<< have to manually create a folder spelled exactly as "Mods" in to root folder of the game. So that means you need to create the folder at:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific

Go there, by clicking from your My Computer icon by clicking

"My Computer", then,

C: Local hard drive, open it,

click on: Program Files folder,

click on: Ubisoft folder,

click on: Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder

This is where you create the "Mods" folder. Upper/lower case DON'T matter, just spell it right.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Now switching to RAR files

I download the mods to my XP desktop.

I start the program ExtractNow

I drag and drop the RAR file into the ExtractNow program window. After you do that, a button lights up labled "EXTRACT". Click it and it automatically creates a folder on your desktop.

The next step consists of dragging and dropping the mod folder created into the "Mods" folder.

Fire up JSGME and it becomes obvious of what to do to activate it. You click on the mod, there is an arrow facing the right to active it in the right window, that's it!

> A WORD OF CAUTION<
Some of these mods were not compacted correctly. Mods need to follow the folder order of:
\mod name\data.

That location of that data folder is critical on EACH and EVERY mod. I am going to make up an FAKE example of what happened to me. They become a folder within a folder and the DATA folder is not the 2nd level down. I downloaded the Super Sounds Map Pack and at first it did not work and said hmmmm, them other mods work fine on the first try.

Here is the WRONG way of folder levels:
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Mods\Super Sounds Map Pack\Super Sounds Map Pack\data

Here is the RIGHT way:
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Mods\Super Sounds Map Pack\data

I have found that the repeating of the mod name twice from extracting it comes from the author that put it together maybe?

Final advice. If and when there is a new patch, DON'T install the patch! Fire up JSGME first and disable all mods so your SH4 is back to a unmodified state. THEN APPLY the new patch. With the new patch, active your mods ONE AT A TIME. Test your game that is ok, go back out of the game, add the next one.

When the 1.2 patch came out, This procedure saved me a TON of time. About one-third made the game not even load and I junked them and waited for a fix.

Hope this helped - bill is in the mail!

Sink them all!
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote