View Single Post
Old 02-23-13, 08:27 AM   #38
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I do not care for updating my AIRAC cycles, because for the experience in the sim it is unimportant whether my next waypoint is called DW107 or DX111. What counts is that the database in my FMC,in my FSX and in my flight planner are synchronized, so that any data in the one also is present in the other databases.

I use Flight Sim Commander 9.2.

I use Active Sky Evolution to dynamically download METAR files. I use REX2 for weather and cloud texture replacements, randomising it every two or three flights. I use to cycle dawn, day and sunset launch times.

If you plan to go for P3D, do not buy any addons instead maybe the PMDG. Get P3D, and see how much reserves you are being left with after having installed the aircraft(s) of your choice. The tweaks and tips for setting up FSX, probably are void in P3D, so you must ask others for advice on that, since I do not have P3D.

My own, subjective preferences for addons would be in this order:
1. Aircraft
2. Weather
3. Airport scenery
4. General scenery (thinks like GTX or UTX)

The aircraft, because that is what a flightsim is about. The weather because I am always confronted with he sights of it, low or high, fast or slow, it does not matter. The airports: because I am low to the ground when I take off and land, also, taxiing and approach add tremendously to the experience of immersion. General scenery last only, because that is what I take the smallest note of. In IFR flying, you do not see the pretty stuff of low-flying VFR, you are too high. Nevertheless the calculation puts stress on the system - what for if you cannot see it anyway? Better keep those resources free for something more useful.

Add your mods step by step, to see how much resources you still have available on your system.

As on aircrafts you should chose, most addons are said to be able to be made compatible with P3D. Many developers like Aerosoft have started to release dedicated installers as well. But do not count on FS9 aircraft running on P3D. The compatability is between FSX and P3D. Be aware that the flagship addons are really complex, and so much better than most others, so that they will keep your hands busy, really. I know the level-d 767 and PMDG 747 for FS9, I had them. But they do not compare, really. I used to fly several different airliners in fS9. In FSX, I only fly the 737NGX and the JS41. You do not need more to be in heaven, really. So wait until you see what these give you, or the upcoming 777, and then re-assess whether you really need a bigger collection. I have bought more planes, yes, but they all are smaller ones, GA-type. In the screenshot threat I posted many pictures, and some other threads deal with my Turbine Duke and Lancair Legacy separately, both by RealAir. The Cheyenne by Digital Aviation also is a good choice, still, after these many years. The FMC and CDU functikionbality in the 737NGX is simulated in almost complete functionality - that alone will keep you busy. It does not compoare to the simplified models you know from the Level D 767 and PMDG 747, they are simplified and leave out a lot of stuff. in the 737NGX, it all is there, functions you have never seen in the FMCs you know, not as dummy switches, but being functional. So just let it rest, get P3D, get the 777 or 737NGX then, and then see and take a breath. You do not need that many planes anymore, really.

No iPhone over here. Don't need it, don't want it, don't like it. I would rather buy a living pet than an iPhone. I sometimes switch on my Samsung E1150 in sexy ruby-red, but that happens rarely only.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-23-13 at 08:45 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote