View Single Post
Old 02-03-17, 08:28 PM   #27
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
yes, I have contacted RedRogers forum via PM and will coordinate with them.

For now I have novice question about subs. Some of them have red bottom and some of them. (even same class) are all black. Any reason?
Yeah, it's just the paint/coating choice I think. Perhaps someone else knows better?! THANK YOU for coordinating with the RA team. Awesome mod. <0

Edit:
A general rule is those subs with red lower bottom have no sensors on their lower hull.

When a sub has sensors (flank sonar) located on their lower hull then the lower bottom is usually coated gray or black. There are exceptions still. The Akula is painted all dark even though its flank/aperture sonar is on its upper hull...the red paint might start from surface ships' lower hull/keel environmental/corrosion protective coating. Then it got stuck. So, even though subs started to be coated with anechoic tiles the lower hull was still coated in red (such as the Typhoon SSBN).

Edit 2:
Ah The Akula has sonars on its lower hull, that's why it's not painted red. Thus, we can conclude the red paint is a corrosion protective coating that would hinder sonars/sensors.

Last edited by Castout; 02-03-17 at 10:02 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote