View Single Post
Old 04-11-07, 11:48 AM   #14
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I have already built mine thanks to your template, and it looks and works AWESOME. Finding the AOB has never been that easy since now I can put the wheel HORIZONTALLY in front of me (Instead of vertically, as the monitor display of the PC we are used to) and thus it is much easier to compare with the enemy vessel you are seeing -which despite being also rendered vertically, has "3D" depth-.

Quote:
a) I feel that the protrusions on the A Ring are backwards. I always think that the pointy end represents the bow of the sub, and the half-cirlce represents the stern - but if the A Ring is used to represent the sub, then the half-circle is located at the 0-degree marker. This seems counter-intuitive to me.

b) The Periscope Ring should have a more obvious marker to show where AoB is. I know it is 180 degrees from the actual "Periscope" marker, but in the heat of battle, it's easy to forget. I may add a marker to clearly show the AoB.
He he I found out why the A scale is reverse pretty quick :p It is meant to be read from the PERISCOPE layer (The transparent one with marks) and not from the own ship overlay of the A disk.

Example: A target is 45º to the right of your bow, and has an AOB of 60º port. You are heading 200º right now. Here's how to set up the wheel:

1.- Move the B ring (True course) until its 200º mark is at the bow of your own ship silhouette in ring A (Matching the 180º mark in the A ring)

2.- Move the Periscope transparent layer to the 45º mark of the A ring. (Here's the reason why it is reversed! To move your scope "right" means in fact moving in the opposite direction the lower part of that wheel, so that the upper shows the target with the correct AOB side)

3.- Last, set the estimated AOB of your target (60º port) in the B ring.

Result: Your target's true course is 105º, as you can now read in the B ring (True course ring)