View Single Post
Old 05-12-21, 06:48 PM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
If I recall rightly.. the gauge only went to 300, in the movie.. will have to see of watching it again, to cross check that.

Even if the gauge in the movie was slated as saying 600 (or even 700) meters.. as KM correctly pointed out... that's By Golly Bollywood for ya... anything for the dramatic nail biting suspense of movies, such as Das Boot or other action movies. up to including even the horror genre...ALL to be taken with a grain heavy dose of salt.

M. M.

i recall the last time i watch Das Boot and the Kaleun gave the order: Deeper and the diving officer announced 400 or 500 m, i had to laugh. i believe they reached 700 m when they were "resting" on the bottom trying to fix the diesels. I believe that the German Kaleun in The Enemy Below also takes his Type 7 to 700 m.

that is another bugaboo with me...not only with DB with the other (mostly American) submarine movies...this resting on the bottom.
can't do that.
a sub has too many pumps located on the lower portion of the hull, pumping in either direction, to rest anywhere but in the water. But it's great entertainment isn't it?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote