Old 03-30-18, 06:25 AM   #717
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
[...]
My son pointed to an old Ford Popular exactly like this one yesterday as we sat waiting in the car; I often wonder what it would be like to drive something like this... I've been told that these old cars had such narrow tyres they were prone to "crab" sideways on cornering. I'd love to try out a Ford Anglia...
Was a nice photo of your son at ten, in that other thread.
I never drove an 'Anglia', but narrow tyres were used in lots of cars back then, even the E-types' ones were quite small compared to modern cars.. which now mostly look like puffed-up show-offers. Lots of design boasting and not much behind it.. i really like those older ones.
Going fast in older cars is a bit more challenging, but then you do not have to.

I bought a Triumph Herald 'Saloon' in England once, well worn (including the tyres - "(almost) new and (very) used cars distributors" lol), front engine/gearbox and rear drive, all the weight in the front.
When we left the ferry there was snow on the continent, in april. The 'Herald' was almost imposible to drive under those conditions. Accelerating would make the car break out at the rear immediately, so you had to constantly counter-steer and adjust, maintaining speed was impossible, while decelerating brought the car into tracks again. So it was a constant back and forth.. but i digress.

Really beautiful paintings!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote