View Single Post
Old 08-29-17, 06:23 PM   #6
Treetop64
Torpedoman

Downloads: 229
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
In fairness, I honestly don't mind "bending" history in simulators. If you're a guy like Patchman and want more encounters, more wrecks, more cooperation between units, & such I can sympathize.

Moreover, I am sure that, for example, even high-realism players of SH3 and SH4 see much more action than a typical U-Boat crew would, and sink many more ships. That's perfectly fine with me. A 100% realistic U-Boat simulator would involve vast amounts of boredom, then sudden death out of the blue - especially come 1943, when the Allies get their act together.
I was reviewing stats recently on uboat.net, and the number of young Kriegsmarine men who died with no successes (or maybe just 1 ship sunk) is STAGGERING.

Similarly, a 100% realistic SH4 would involve, by 1945, combing Japanese waters for small ships - by then as you know, Japan's merchant navy was decimated, and America's new submarines were a bit "underemployed".

I'm sure a few SH3 players love "Black May 1943" and beyond, but it seems like most guys on subsim prefer 1939-1941 (or in the case of SH4, the post torpedo scandal years). Times when you have a fighting chance to sink, say, 3-4 ships per patrol.

Just my rambling $0.02. I used to be a realism die hard who took pride in "boring" patrols; now, I think a "pinch" of Hollywoodizing is ok. So long as there is the option to turn it off (which we do, thanks to the campaign layers and modding tools). Interesting thoughts on both sides, guys, and I hope nobody takes offense.
None taken.

I'm fine with that as well as a "pinch" of Hollywood, but not 5-gallon buckets full of it!
Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote