Sonar Guy

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Re-using 3D meshes in a file.
I'll provide the example.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4afldw...sell2.dat/file

Look at this dat with S3D. Then look at how the actual 3D meshes were done. Notice there are very few actual meshes used to complete the Sea Forts. The Game engine renders the needed parts as we placed them. No need for extra meshes!
At 2+ MB as is? Doing everything as separate meshes would place it at over 9 or 10 MB!
(Yes. They suffer the dreaded Dynamic shadow stuff! I know better now.)

Thanks for the offsets for the .dat file in hex very helpful.

So I understand the optimized approach you are talking about here, you are still copying the same model (obj) over and over again in S3D?

Isn't it possible to just reference the same model in S3D and just go about it that way, wouldn't that save space?

I guess, from a hex point of view, what edits would we want to make to these files to make them more optimized. Looks like looking for duplicate data chunks for models (type 1) is step 1, and then possibly deleting the duplicates and re-reference the deleted duplicate data chunks with the original model reference id?

@EDIT

Yes in S3D it is possible to reference the same model in multiple nodes and this works just fine. It also decreases file space.

Is it possible to reference a model ID that is in another .dat file?

Last edited by areo16; 11-28-18 at 03:50 AM.
areo16 is offline   Reply With Quote