View Single Post
Old 12-18-17, 10:05 AM   #12
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifactory View Post
FPSchazly I see you're another Marylander..... I'm a native of Annapolis, grew up on the Naval Academy grounds, had the amazing experience of going down the Bay (and about 60' under) for a day on the X-1 submarine (mothballed at the Naval Academy near Field House last time I saw her)..... that was about 47 yrs ago, and here I sit no less the noob but found your videos at YouTube to be excellent. Coherent is good You know your stuff.

My father was a comrade of the captain of the X-1; they were regulars at the Fleet Reserve Club. I spent a lot of my youth fishing and crabbing the Severn and Chesapeake, saw the USS Scorpion as she sat in the channel off of NSRDC across from USNA, then we got the horrible news she'd gone down off the Azores. I'll never forget as my grandfather circled the Scorpion many crew were on the deck..... rather eerie when she went MIA. Also grew up with kids of a naval officer who'd done significant work in the hunt for the Thresher after her hideous fate.

I was inspired to buy "Sub Command", but the actual manual was out of my budget; the existing embedded tutorials were quite good, though. The fact is I'm pretty much starting again from scratch...... your YouTube videos were a great find.

Not to intrude on the topic, and I'm kind of new at this forum scene......just caught my eye when I saw the excellent thread and initiating message. Were you ever crew on a submarine, or work in the design end? I'd prospected for a graphics job at Johns Hopkins APL in Savage, MD and saw extensive and fantastic visual material they'd produced for a long-term submarine technology project. The bulk of my graphics career was much more focused on military aircraft, also a captivating topic for me. Speaking of topic, I'll conserve bandwidth and sign off here Look forward to focus time on your series. Thanks for your generous knowledge....
Thank you! That sounds really cool to go on that submersible, never been on one (that actually works). I work very close to APL, actually, and my grandfather worked there. But, no, I've never worked on or been deployed on any submarines. I just use my engineering knowledge to talk about the topics for which I know some things, it tends to make it seem like I know more than I actually do

I hope you enjoy watching more of my content!

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote