View Single Post
Old 01-09-18, 04:59 PM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
Not quite. Vivaldi was started by the guy who started the original Opera. He didn't like the direction Opera was going.
Argh - yes, think you are right. I allowed to get fooled by my memory. My fault.

Many extensions in Firefox do not work anymore since the new basic digital DNA from Chromium does not allow certain tasks being done in the way they were done in the old Firefox (pre-Quantum). This was done by Mozilla to speed the browser up that got bogged down sometimes by all those many addons doing too many tasks costing too much CPU time. Since these working methods of the old addons are not compatible with the rules of Chromium, their authors cannot keep up old itnerafces and extensions, or cannot attach needed adapatation within a reaosmable amont oif work and time. Onme of ther most primninent victims is No-.Script. Before, it worked great, now it is a pain, I have deleted it. Another famous mod whose authors gave up is One-Side-Bar. All in all of the maybe 6 or 7 addons I used before Quantujm, today I only maintain three - the others have been given up, or work too bad.

Wrong prioritizing by Mozilla, imo, as I explained earlier. They placed a bet for speed, but traded away the opriume aregument that spoke for Firefox: proteciton of proivacy features and preventing snooping. None of Chrome, Edge, Firefox Quantum, Opera post-version-12, can succeed Firefox classic in this. Anmd since the speed gains are almost unperceivable to me, I only see the loss of privacy protection, uncompensated by anything .

Opera did the same some years ago,m and with adding some very questionable, weak desing decisions. They got delivered the bill: they lost 50% of their already small user base back then within two months.

Last time I read about Firefox users, was after arrival of Quantujm. Thy too have seen a huge loss in users, one quarter, if I remember correctly.

P.S. Ah here it is:
Quote:
Firefox, whose maker recently overhauled the browser, also took it on the chin when Net Applications scratched out bot traffic. In the new, cleansed data, Firefox's user share dropped 3.5 points in 2017, representing a 24% decline. That was the largest decrease among the world's top browsers.
https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ost-share.html

Mozilla maybe had to do something, since the constantly lost shares sinc elonger time now, but they did the wrong thing. This Quantum will not change the trend.

I think everything points at Google Chrome as the winner of the browser war on PC. If counting all computer devices, the winner can only be named as Android.