View Single Post
Old 01-20-17, 07:46 AM   #52
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba View Post
As far as I remember (and Doenitz's memoirs confirm this), variant 3 is correct.

Also, I remember that the pistols were in general set between Contact-Only and Contact + Magnetic, so there was no "magnetic (MZ) only" option possible. At least not for regular T1-T3 torpedoes, I seem to remember it was slightly different for Accoustic torpedoes.

Food for thought - Pi-2 and 3 had an ON / OFF switch - I presume for the magnetic detonation: http://www.bulletpicker.com/pdf/Mine...20Part%204.pdf
(Pi-1 was an impact only pistol, which means early T1s didn't have magnetic detonation option).
This is right, the torpedo had to be withdrawn to change the pistol setting or change the pistol itself, of course. All else like course and depth etc. was done via "remote" adjustments, mechanical shafts extending from the 'Zentrale' to the torpedo tubes, and through them into the torpedo.
Imho when a tube was locked to a target, the TDC submitted the running solution directly to the tube.
In case of failure the settings could be adjusted up front in the torpedo room, manually.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote