View Single Post
Old 08-17-17, 04:53 PM   #16
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Sorry I'm late to the game here, been busy with RL....

UEFI could be causing all of the grief here.
Since I'm not familiar with your Notebook, just a few things I would check.

In the Bios on my Gigabyte mother board, I can set (most of them individually) each "part" (usb, etc.) to be either "Legacy" or "UEFI".

If I turn UEFI "off", but leave something such as usb set to "UEFI only", then I won't have my usb until I turn it to "Legacy", or one of the "either/or" settings. (UEFI/Legacy, or Legacy/UEFI, sets the 'primary'.)

IF UEFI is on, and the boot UEFI "key" (in the OS) isn't correct, it will "break" on boot.

Can you install 17.2 and do a "system upgrade" to 18.2?

I don't mean use the "software updater" program.

The program for Fedora that allows me to upgrade from, for example, F25 to F26 is command line only. As it is a rather long and drawn-out process. (The upgrade, not typing the command.)

This may be the way the Manufacturer did it. Installed 17, then upgraded it after install to 18.

I've done it before when Fedora had issues recognizing my RAID in a previous version.

I'll see if I can find any info on MINT 18.2 having issues with UEFI.

Lastly, hardware issues will show up in MANY ways that don't appear to be hardware.
I'm not saying it is the hardware, but I've been in the same situation.
ALL the evidence pointed at something else. Which is exactly why I started swapping parts.

Barracuda

EDIT: Bit short on time here, but I did find this after a quick search....

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-amd64-package

I thought I would post it here just in case you did run across a similar error during your attempts.
I'll keep looking later when I have a bit more time.

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 08-17-17 at 05:02 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote