View Single Post
Old 07-26-17, 08:06 AM   #371
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Provided that we manage getting our hands on good quality grayscale heightmaps, we couldn't use them as they are. Reason is that shades of gray shown on them are a linear fucntion of RW heights, whereas in SHIII the relation is not linear.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Believe me, that's not going to happen. The SH world is the way it is and, once you know the rules, everything is in its right place. Look for any known location on my spreadsheet if you don't believe it.
Sure, distances are not right, and land masses are stretched out, but there is no way we can squeeze a spherical world into a cylindrical one. The one thing we would achieve, is moving around islands, ports, straits, landmarks and other geographical features in unpredictable ways
You didn't understand me. I mean the picture of the SH3 scale, in photoshop or paint.net : for each meter of depth, and thanks to the scale i've posted, we add the correct grey used by SH3 (Terrain Editor). Then, we get a real depth map (heightmap for example), we create the depth color scale used by it, and put this scale just above the grey SH3 scale. And then, for each SH3 depth intervall (one unique grey color), we select all the colors from the real depth map scale, and convert them into the correct grey. Easy ! But maybe i'm not clear enough...