View Single Post
Old 07-26-17, 07:53 AM   #370
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
I think so, but first value should not be used, as it can take blue or brown color, depending on the map scale...
Maybe that's a feature. Let's take a mental note of it, just in case we will need something like that in future

Quote:
Except if we "rescale" the SH3 map picture in order to be linear.
Believe me, that's not going to happen. The SH world is the way it is and, once you know the rules, everything is in its right place. Look for any known location on my spreadsheet if you don't believe it.
Sure, distances are not right, and land masses are stretched out, but there is no way we can squeeze a spherical world into a cylindrical one. The one thing we would achieve, is moving around islands, ports, straits, landmarks and other geographical features in unpredictable ways

Quote:
That would be amazing !
Let's put us on that. Provided that we manage getting our hands on good quality grayscale heightmaps, we couldn't use them as they are. Reason is that shades of gray shown on them are a linear fucntion of RW heights, whereas in SHIII the relation is not linear. I have plotted data from your chart on an Excel graph and left the program to interpolate a likely tendency line. This is the result:

Before we could use any heightmap, we should adjust its tonal range to reflect the graph above...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote