View Single Post
Old 04-05-17, 01:34 PM   #9
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
And looking at the Falcon Gold on Steam, holy crap I don't remember the graphics being that bad LOL.

And they are asking for a 1.8ghz processor minimum. I ran mine on a 66 mhz 386 back then.
What fascinates me about that is just how much BMS (and other modders before them) managed to do with it - try running Falcon 4 without mods, and it's practically unrecognizable. Heck, even the Allied Force release from 2004 looks completely obsolete by comparison. It's amazing that it's still running on the same engine.

Then again, if you look at something like ARMA 3 - it's also still retains a fair bit of the original 2001 "Operation Flashpoint", while DCS is built on top of 2003's Lock On (which, in turn, is based heavily on the 1997 Flanker 2.5 and its predecessors), while today's versions of FSX/Prepar3D retain most of FS2002's code base and some from even older version. But today's Falcon definitely gets extra cookie points for basically being community-maintained for what's now been 18 years since the last official Microprose patch!

Another honourable mention should go to Jane's F-18, also. Although not nearly as active as the Falcon community, and lacking F4's dynamic campaign, it also received lots of mod updates over the years and is worth taking a second look at!

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote