View Single Post
Old 05-13-08, 04:40 PM   #610
Azrael Valedhel
Watch

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish
(b.t.w. not one U-boat was ever hit by a merchant's gun throughout the war - certainly not at night)
I'm not that sure about this, Bernard Edwards in "War of the U-Boats. British Merchantmen Under Fire" writes about U-42 (Kptlt. Rolf Dau) which fought a steamer named Stonepool. Stonepool had 100mm stern gun (or whatever you call it ) - Edwards writes that the steamer was damaged by several shots and although crippled - she was able to dock at Barry. Edwards also writes that Stonepool managed to damage the U-42 with at least one shot, cause when the captain saw the u-boat surfaced again it had the deck gun damaged and probably was hit under the water line, that was estimated because of u-boat "unstable" moves... After some time two destroyers came to rescue the steamer - HMS Imogen and HMS Ilex. The book says Dau sank his u-boat and surrendered to the destroyers, but other sources stated that the u-boat: "Sunk 13 Oct, 1939 south-west of Ireland, in position 49.12N, 16.00W, by depth charges from the British destroyers HMS Imogen and HMS Ilex. 26 dead and 20 survivors." [http://www.uboat.net/boats/u42.htm]
Here's a note from the same site about Stonepool:
"About 08.30 hours on 13 Oct, 1939, the Stonepool, dispersed from convoy OB-17, was damaged by gunfire from U-42 (Dau) south of Bantry Bay in position 48°40N/15°30W (grid BE 3749). The ship was en route from Barry to St. Vincent loaded with 6600 tons of coal and general cargo. After ten minutes, the U-boat was forced to dive by the accurate returned fire, leaving the deck gun crew in the water. While the Germans surfaced again to pick up their men, the steamer sent distress signals which brought HMS Ilex (D 61) and HMS Imogen (D 44) to the scene. At 18.55 hours, the steamer spotted the U-boat on the surface, which was shortly thereafter sunk by the destroyers. " [http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1103.html]

Now, about the mod - I absolutely love it. It's really a masterpiece OLC, looks briliant. Now playing with GWX2.1 and OLCU I'm not going to install SH4 anytime soon (I had it, and I did get rid of it right after downloading GWX2.1^^). Now, there's just one little thing... The moon ^^ Is there a way to get the GWX2.1 moon back? :> Or is it the same and I'm having some stupid halucinations? (Cause that's pretty much possible knowing the time I spend on the computer each day ;P) And the second issue - Realistic Map Updates is what I was looking for - but there's one thingy that needs to be corrected IMHO - when you select a ship on the map you get the line which shows you an estimated course, right? Well, you still can do it, and the line is visible. And it can be used to estimate the ships position and course far too easily... If one knows it can be done. It's still a lil' bit guessing about the position, but you get the exact course

But these are minor thingies, with or without them - this mod is really uber. Wait, isn't that why it's called Ubermod in the first place? ^^
Thanks for all the work on this beauty, it was worth it.