View Single Post
Old 09-15-09, 08:39 AM   #35
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Oh BTW ...

Now that I see those pictures I must comment something I found out some time ago before it is too late

The TDC dials have probably been wrong for german subs since SH3 Apparently the TDC was not completely understood or correctly copied by the Devs in their visit to U-995 (May be because it was disarmed?) but a recent trip by a friend from mine provided me very good hi-res pictures and I could confirm thanks to them the problem.

The dial used in SH3 and SH4 for "Bearing" is actually the track angle dial, i.e. the dial which shows the expected angle at which the torpedo will hit against the target. Hence its division in red/green half-circles and most important, 0-180 degrees on both sides (Instead of 0-360º, as you see the bearing divided in all other views)

The correct dial for bearing is the one with black background, divided in 0-360º, and with another dial above that is the vernier (Indicates 0-10 degrees with each rotation for each 10 degree increment in the main bearing dial). Note how the lower dial has 0-360º in 10 degree increments, while the one above has the scale divided in 0-10.

The correct dial for Angle on the Bow is therefore the one used in SH3-4 for bearing , because as you can see it is also divided in red/green parts and 0-180 scales, not a single 0-360º one. The wording "Bug links" and "Bug rechts" means actually "Bow left" and "Bow right", i.e. which of its sides the TARGET is presenting. The inner dial, with red and green numbers is actually the vernier for that AOB, indicating each degree.

Here is a picture of the TDC with the labels for the correct dials: