View Single Post
Old 02-06-19, 07:16 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
I apologize. I guess my little explanation really doesn't explain my point. I don't know how to explain better. The creation story and scientific explanation parallel each other, not perfect, but mostly so. I guess studying Genesis in depth with the proper guidance will help understand.
I do not claim to have studied Genesis "for years", but I certainly know it, and quite some more parts of the Bible. Thats general education, I would say. And I see no such "parallels".

I can appreciate the prose or beauty in a piece of fiction. Like I also appreciate the Hindi metaphor of god Brahma breathing in and out the universe. Or the singing of the Ainur bringing the world into being in the Silmarillion. The latter is the most poetic creation myth I ever have read. But lets leave prose and scietific methodology two different things, even if the Ainur'S music might be tempting for some to compare it to hysics fact that all world is wave and is oscillation and thus: "music".

Texts like the Bible only make sense, a bit at least, if understanding that they a.) reflect the knowledge horizon of the authors of the time they lived in, and b.) that the Bible speaks in images, in metaphors. Its no realstic, no scientific, no empirical report. Its an artisistic approach on something. Taking it literally, which would be needed to compare it to a scientific theory, makes no sense, and leads only to intellectual self-limitation.

Not even mentioning the many, many, many things and details where science has proven religious texts being wrong. Simply wrong.

The world as it is, always is perfect, in every single moment of its ecistence.Becasue it represents and all life's evoltuion ever ymoments represents the status of how far things could have formed up in the time they had available to do so until here, and becasue this universe is formed by existential cionditions and variables that must be met so that it does not all fly apart. There might be othe runiverse with other such exostential factors and other variables, but this is th eone we live in, and that things in it meet this universe's demands is no miracle at all, but a necessity, else these things and the universe itself would not exist. Within these limits, its a big experimentation playground for evolution. What works, is. What works not, gets sorted out or at least massively altered.

I always compare it a bit to the theory model of the free market and its invisible hands. Free barter and trade brings together an infinite numbers of individual preferrences, wishes, capabilties and intentions. it is impossible to regulate it, to overwatch it, to plan it. Still, leave it to itself, and every buyers finds an offerer, every prudducer finds a customer, although there never will be or cna be a blueprint for trying to sort and plan and forsee all that. It just works if left to itself.

Evolution is comparable. You cannot forsee how it goes in the future, and you cannot plot a map of how what interacts with what else and this map now in all details for all species and forms existing and all their exact interaction. It cannot be planned. But still: it works if left to itself.

The only magic here is that of dynamic self-sustaining systems, like a rotating top stabilising itself if only you do not try to help it, like the numerical relation between numbers of predators and prey fluctuate within a stabil range, like you ride and keep the balance on a bycicle without thinking about it, when you do, you will fail.

Its all a dream dancing with itself. Nothing is forever, nothing stays the same, all changes constantly. Panta rhei.