Thread: GWX Skin Pack
View Single Post
Old 07-12-11, 01:53 PM   #141
andqui
Soundman

Downloads: 195
Uploads: 0

So some of the ships only uses changes in the .tga files, which shouldn't cause any problems. Some ships, especially capital ships, use .dat files to change the skin. If there is any incompatibility, I would think it would be here. As far as I can tell, .dat files control the 3d models and the placement of the various 3d components on the model, like guns, radar, etc. Is this correct? In the skin mod, are these used to model weapon changes over time? Would these have changed from the older version of GWX to GWX3? If they are incompatible between versions, is there an easy way to copy and paste the embedded .tga files in these using s3ditor?

thanks

EDIT: I now know I can move the embedded tga's from one .dat file to another without any problems. I have the GWX skin mod in a JSGME folder in SH3 commander, so I can enable and disable it at will.

What I'm thinking of doing (using the Bismarck as an example):
1. Copy over the NBB_Bismark.dat from SH3 into the GWX skin mod.
2. Open up this copy (with the incorrect skin) and the old version (with the correct skin), and transfer the embedded .tga from the old file to the new one.
3. Delete the old file, leaving me with an up-to-date NBB_Bismark.dat with the correct skin in the SH3 commander GWX skin mod.

Will this approach work?
andqui is offline   Reply With Quote