View Single Post
Old 06-16-16, 03:11 PM   #209
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Great! That's going to save some files. One of the files that's a real stinker regarding what it does and how easily it can be to mess up is the menu_1024_768.ini file. This file contains info for all 2 Dimensional screen make-ups, like the Periscope screen, the Crew Management screen, the main game Menu screen. Those that are 3 Dimensional are like the Radar screen or the Conning Tower views (their made in .dat files). When mods come along and wish to add their own take to the menu_1024 file, the creator better know how to make the file compatible with the original or something isn't going to be right....usually resulting in to a CTD. It's unfortunate but when mods don't consider the original source of the files they are modifiying....especially files that have already been altered, the mod becomes useless.

With the FOTRS Optical Correction, there's a lot changed in the camera.dat file, but there's also things changed within the menu_1024 file like the placement of the larger sized Periscope lens, or the larger compass bearing at the top of the scope. The Observation scope has to have its own entries, as well as the TBT/UZO too. It's just going to make sense to have some of the parts embedded into the mod so other mods can work from what we finish with.

To continue on with a little more of the Optical Correction comparisons, here's FOTRS initial Museum screen:

The OC Museum screen:

This isn't much of a difference except for the addition of having a Free Camera to move about the models as you like. Put yourself on the deck to see what's it like to to be a sailor on one of these:

Kind of a small thing, but here's the FOTRS view of the Captain's Office:

Here's OC's:

By pushing back the camera a bit, hopefully folks will see the "Options Radio" better on the left shelf.

Getting back to the subs, I've always liked the ability to feel you're in one, yet it's hard to visualize it sitting in a computer chair. One touch I'm putting in is the ability to have the camera tilt with the descend/ascend movement of the sub. In order to accomplish this, certain aspects of the subs interior had to be modified (changing the Command Room and Conning Tower camera initial starting position). It's much like the change I had to make for the 20MM Antiaircraft gun......it just wasn't right. Here's the FOTRS Command Room (Porpoise I think) during a Crash Dive:

Here's an Optical Correction view:

And the Conning Tower:

The camera will level out as the sub levels itself. This doesn't add any extra movement to the interior camera (you won't be getting sea sick with the wash of the waves), but it does give you a sense of movement responding to the decent/accent of the sub.

The German side will be getting it too:

I'll be talking more about the Optical Corrections for the German side later (yes, I've not forgotten you guys).

Here's a last comparison of the FOTRS Observation Periscope 6x magnification at night:

And Optical Corrections:

Dear God !!!!! My jaw just dropped to the floor!!
This is phenomenal!!

The camera tilt movement is one of the most creative ideas I've seen so far.

Respect Capn

Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote