Old 08-23-12, 09:27 PM   #4
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
Good choices!

I think mine will forever have to be Falcon 4.0, in its latter-day modded state. No game has ever even attempted a dynamic campaign on the same scale (10s of thousands of ground units, hundreds of air units constantly engaged in real-time 3D battlespace? Integrated command and air defense systems? Supply, infrastructure and logistics having real effects? Yes sir!), and the fidelity of the simulation is still second to none, even 14 years after release. When you combine those two things, the immersion factor is unbeatable. You really feel like a small part of a big war.

Similar things could be said for Battle of Britain II, which I heartily recommend to everyone. It's often overlooked against IL-2 and CFS 3, especially for lack of its multiplayer, but its newer versions are absolutely outstanding. It has some of the best flight modeling, and by far the best AI out of the current WWII flight sims. Its campaign is also brilliant and more truly dynamic than its direct competitors - and you can even play it as purely a strategy game, controlling the whole air war if you want to and jumping in to participate at any time.

And finally, a worthy game to this day is B-17 II, which no other can still touch all these years later as far as bomber sims. It is very much the SHIII of flight sims, with its immersive crew and squadron management features, and near-suicidal difficulty - the real challenge, as in SHIII, is to survive. And to this day, it has some of the best sound design in any game. Of all flight sims, it's the one I would most like to see a true sequel to.
Yes I have to agree on Battle of Britian II in terms of AI and single player. As for B-17 II are you talking about B-17 Flying Fortress The Mighty Eighth or a different game?