View Single Post
Old 08-17-09, 07:16 PM   #160
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

It's way too early to tell right now, but my feelings are mixed right now. The trailer is incredibly dodgy - it actually managed to crush my initial excitement. The graphics? Well, they're obviously unfinished, but the crew still look like glossy superman. Can't judge yet. As for the first-person walkthrough? Could care less. If I wanted to study the interior of a U-boat, I'd just go online and "tour" U-995, U-505, and U-2540, read U-boat War or U-boat War Patrol, or watch Das Boot again.

Mouth-foaming revisionism about the Pacific theater aside, the real problem with SHIV is the horribly counter-intuitive interface and the number of fist-pounding bugs remain in even the most recent patch. I hoped Ubi has learned from their past mistakes, but I expect the release date to be pushed back a few months. I also expect that mod-makers will have a field day with this one. Five years from now, we'll have forgotten how flawed the sim was when it was released (and it certainly will be, going by Ubi's past record), and view SH5 through heavily-modded, rose-tinted glasses.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote