Old 10-11-17, 10:52 PM   #4
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
1 = total agreement

3 = Note sure ASW helos lack processing power to compete with towed array performance.

5 = Agree degraded solutions should project along last known course and speed. However, Ghosting is needed to inform the player the contact is not currently 100% reliable in addition to the percentage readout.
I get the impression based on comments in the past, several players do not like the contact jumping around to unreasonably random solutions when it is lost after near 100%. A contact which never got above 80% then lost could have a reasonable ghosting error due to not very good contact to begin with.
-Pv-
Back in the time frame of the game, Helos or fixwing aircraft were very limited in the processing they could do. Weight was the biggest factor. Some systems even had to transmit the raw data back to a surface ship to be processed.
The Soviets were only just experimenting with towed arrays back then and not in wide spread use like the US Navy. The Soviets do make very good plainer arrays, it was just the processing power to use those arrays properly was, shall we say, lacking...

Back in the 80's as a mid-grade Fire Control Tech, the primary computer for the FCS and BQQ-5 was the UYK-7 that I worked on. Of course Q5 had a lot of dedicated specific processors for a variety of functions. Then the good old UYK-7 was replaced with a UYK-43, then we got into COTS (commercial off the shelf) equipment. The latest iteration of BYG-1 Fire Control System has 43 dual/quad Intel CPU (XEON's) servers with HUGE amounts of memory. ARCI Sonar has over 75+. No, they do not run Windows...

I am currently in the process of installing the latest/greatest BYG-1 systems on a boat in one of the shipyards.. With the way technology is advancing, we completely remove and replace the entire Combat System on a boat every three to four years...
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote