Thread: [REL] Ship Names April 2015
View Single Post
Old 04-19-15, 10:03 PM   #1
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Default Ship Names April 2015

It's been two years since I last added anything to my Ship Names mod. I've been busy with many other projects and I also got tired of doing work I'd never see, since my old computer wouldn't run IABL's Merchant Fleet Mod and I was doing more and more names for those ships.

I've had a new computer since Christmas, and I've been working toward playing SH3 with all the bells and whistles. I then discovered that I didn't like seeing ships listed with names like 'Medium Merchant 21'. I started going over my own working lists and culling names I thought would be appropriate. This new file contains a revised [CLASSMAP], so the 'X' version of each ship is tied to its 'A' or 'B' counterpart and will also get names when sunk.

I've also included a list of ships to be copied and pasted into the 'EnglishNames.cfg', which will make the new names show up in the Recognition Manual and the Patrol Reports. How to make it all work is included in the readme and on the Download page.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4671

Here are a couple of pictures of how it looks in-game:

WARNING: I cannot emphasize this enough - While the Ship Names file for SH3 Commander is perfectly safe, only taking effect as it does after the patrol is finished, do NOT change the names in the Sea folder while on patrol. I'm not 100% certain it's safe to do so at any time. It killed my career, which is okay because it was brand new. Then again I was at sea when I did it. Unless someone can verify that changing the EnglishNames.cfg is safe while in port, you do so at your own risk.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 04-19-15 at 10:08 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote