View Single Post
Old 01-30-08, 03:22 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
Skybird : I didn't use an offensive tone in my critic.
I just feel that a flight sim that doesn't allow freeware aircraft is just not worth it. Not when the market has a lot of products raging from arcadish to quite realistic. And I stress that this is my opinion.
What I read on the official website of that sim is that the developper is not making new aircraft.
He is relying on the modding community to come with new models, and here is where I find it strange, instead of letting said freeware modders to give away their creations he wants to "quality control" those models and in the process making you pay for this privilege.
Are the original modders getting paid by the way ? This is not clear at all.
Probably not. But the y said they only react to wishes and desires for new planes. These new wishes have been so many that in three years they put a package with 5 new planes together - that much demand there is anyway! ;

I completely accept you not to choose this sim, and I understand that moddability for you is a must in a game you want to buy. that is okay, but modding is just not the focus of Condor, but realism, and realism pushed to the max. Physics models are a very problematic task inflight sims, and they are prone to errors getting implemented. Richt now, the existing planes being used in online races are said by soaring pilots to match their real world counterpoarts very well, and the competiton between different types is balanced. to let every Peter and Paul mess up the physics modeol that in it's own regards probably is the most complicated on the market, would be insane. When I said your tone were offensive, I referred to your - by all reason: unjustified - accusations that they were just looking to make money, and that they only plan to add their 2% of work to packages that others have completed to 98%. I admit, I found that statement a bit rich, and unfair.

The developer, as to my best knowledge, consists of only two people, btw. This is not evil, money-craving company, but a pair of enthusiasts wanting to turn their real world hobby to the most realistic simulation heights possible. and how goes the old saying: if you want the job getting done well - do it yourself. the result of their efforts proves them right.

So in no way I want to tell you you must buy this thing, and you are not allowed to say you want to mod something, or that you must agree with my sympathy for this sim. You must all that not, of course. Mod away other moddable games, fine for me. But I found some of your comments a bit unfair towards the developer, and thus my response. Their reasons not to allow wild modding of ingame physics are very reasonable and make a lot of sense. And it seems that the community that is aware of condor and plays it online does not want it any other way anyway.