View Single Post
Old 07-22-17, 02:12 PM   #18
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosphereIX View Post
I love this mod, and great work Ramius...but I am trying to do a "historical" Trafalgar campaign in 84 with HMS Trafalgar armed with Tigerfish and Harpoons, and it dawned on me...could an ex Brit sailor chime in here?....

How the hell did you put up with the Tigerfish torpedo? It is complete crap in the 84 campaign, and you used it until the early 2000s. With a top speed of 35knots, it is easily outrun by many warships, and that is not even getting to it's supposed unreliability.

As I understand it, Churchill, Swiftsure, and especially Trafalgar were/are fantastic boats with good speed, good dive, good sensors and very quiet...but they are given a floppy noodle to actually fight with.

Why the hell did the RN not replace the Tigerfish decades before it became obsolescent? How did sub skippers not revolt, saying "If the war goes hot, and I have to sink some Victors, Oscars, Alfas, or any surface ship that goes 30 knots or higher...I am screwed."
If you use the same principals that it takes to effectively run the Mk 37 in 1968, you should be able to achieve results (close in, baffles shots) trouble is you're doing this against quieter targets with better sonar as compared to 68 tactics against Novembers. Upshot is that your Trafalgar is quiet too.

What you do have on your side though (I haven't looked at the numbers) is, from reputation, the Tigerfish was billed as the "stealth torpedo" as it was electrically powered it was pretty quiet at 35 knots and even quieter when its at pre-enable speed.

Its still going to be frustrating compared to just running wild with the Mk48, but if you try to get in close shots that they don't detect right away and can't run from until its too late, you should have a chance.