View Single Post
Old 07-20-17, 11:26 PM   #63
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
I don't think so. A casual CW player still has to learn the basics of thermal layers, surface ducts, differences between active/passive sonars, effective use of countermeasures etc. Now, people who aren't willing to do that won't be interested in the game anyway. Those who do will probably welcome this as adding more depth to the game.
Anyway, let's break down Destex's points fom strictly gameplay perspective:

1. TMA on Active Sonar intercept contacts.
You hear a ping -> you get a new contact. Without adding any complexity you increase player's situational awareness.

2. Immediate classification for ESM and Active Intercept contacts for military targets.
Adds a very good reason to use ECM instead of current vague "increase TMA rate".

3. No TMA for ESM only contacts.
The effect of ESM on TMA is currently so small, that I wouldn't be surprised that some players don't even know it's there. Also it reduces the urge to stay at PD for too long.

4. Much slower decay for TMA contacts that have lost contact, let them keep the last solution when contact had been lost.
Another feature that increases situational awareness without adding complexity.

5. Have TMA much more responsive to own-ship maneuvering. Currently, there's not enough own ship contribution of own-ship maneuvering for solution build-up.
AFAIK this feature is already in the game. Destex only wants it to be more effective (and I agree). This also adds to the gameplay because then instead of sitting around and waiting for the % to go up you can manoeuvre to get it faster.

As you can see, realism is not always the opposite of gameplay. Sometimes it can enhance it and this is such case.

PS. As for your previous post that "It's hardcore players why this genre is dead", I think you're wrong. The reason it's almost dead (CW and upcoming Uboot proves it doesn't) is because it's such a niche subject that even if you were to create a perfect subsim you will not get the attention of a typical casual gamer.
1. At what range will you place the contact? How do you differ it from a passive contact that you at least have a estimate range on?

2. Some sensors were used on more than 1 platform. And the Dev have to be willing to overhaul the unit reference guide to putin accurate sensor data. I would rather they spend their effort elsewhere.

3 Stay at PD for too long and you'll learn your lesson but getting a visit from a Helo or have a SS-N-14 drop on your head. Think that will teach them fast enough. You can actually get TMA from ESM if you move a distance and then collect another set of data.

4. Why as that solution % gets to be meaningless after a little while. isn't the faded out contact symbol enough?

5 less effect is more like it. Just wait till they fully modeled the towed array, it take minutes for it to straighten out and start functioning after every turn. Look at Jive's video, he call out 3 minutes at least for each leg of the TMA and there's a reason for it.

Wow, you must consider yourself one of the elite. The genre is dead because even someone with more than a passing interest won't get in without reading a 100 page manual and there's not enough bridge sim (sim lite) to get causal player interested. How many games like CMANO have you seen in the last decade? How many time have you seen so call hardcore player calling CW arcade? Did you see how bad Naval War AC got slammed by hardcore gamers on the forum?

Last edited by Wiz33; 07-20-17 at 11:41 PM.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote