View Single Post
Old 01-08-14, 01:19 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

It already starts with the need to decide whether you would stay with the old P3D v1.4 - or the new 2.0, which are two different packages, 2.0 is not just a free upgrade over 2.0. The new one currently has compatability issues that in many cases will not be solved that easily, both due to coding and licensing issues.

I would wait with P3D 2.0 until the addons you are interested in have come along with dedicated installers and licenses. While people said that in some cases old addons run with P3D 2.0, other addons do not, or only at the cost of technical handicaps and huge frame losses.

I was eager to jump onto 2.0 since I learned that it was coming. But observing what is going on currently makes me cautious.

If you can manage to tune your system so that you have a stable FSX installation, stay with it. Blindly investing into P3D seesm to be a gamble - with both versions. Not everybody who bought 1.4 reported huge improvements.

And to answer a question mabye coming to mind: differfent to widespread hopes, P3D 2.0 is NOT turned into 64 Bit, nor does it include true multicore support. Both is unlikely to come in the forseeable future/years.

Several developers, including PMDG, have said they will give full support to P3D 2.0 and will develope for it. But the prices for their modules under 2.0 will be higher than for FSX/P3D 1.4 .