View Single Post
Old 12-03-09, 04:04 AM   #1
ioncore
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Thresher and November, anyone? (Subsim for 50s-60s)

Hi guys,

Just a small question. While it is quite understandable why WWII, modern times and WWI (in this exact order) do occupy the top charts of all the subsims, I'm pretty sure that there are fans of the early Cold War era: the era of zounds of diezel submarines, the era of USS Nautilus and innovative Threshers, the era of Soviet nuclear fleet buildup and carrier-killer cruise missiles (oh and don't ever forget about Badgers, and of course Bear-C/Kresta/Echo II integral missile guidance system), the mix of aging and dying WWII tactics and completely new doctrines.
Why there always were so little interest for that era? Were there ever attempts to create any mod for 50s-60s (+ early 70s) for any existing commercial subsim? Or were there any indies/open source sims for that era? Being a C++/Linux programmer myself, it seems to me that the powerful dangerdeep (God bless its creators ) is an excellent starter platform for such a sort of "modding" experiments, especially due to the amazing technical level of that project and its open sources.

Cheers
ioncore is offline   Reply With Quote