View Single Post
Old 04-18-24, 10:48 AM   #5120
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1783 American Revolution: George Washington issues General Orders announcing the end of hostilities with Britain, giving thanks to the Almighty, and offering congratulations and authorizing an extra ration of alcohol to the troops to celebrate.

1915 French pilot Roland Garros is shot down and glides to a landing on the German side of the lines during World War I.

1916 US Secretary of State Warns Germany that the USA may break diplomatic relations unless torpedo attacks on unarmed ships stop.

1934 Adolf Hitler names Joachim von Ribbentrop ambassador for disarmament.

1942 "Stars & Stripes" paper for US armed forces starts.

1942 The Doolittle Raid: James Doolittle leads the first air raid on mainland Japan, bombing Tokyo & other Japanese cities.

1943 Operation Vengeance: US Army Air Force P-38G fighter aircraft from Kukum Field on Guadalcanal ambush and shoot down the transport bomber aircraft of Isoroku Yamamoto, commander-in-chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy and mastermind behind the Pearl Harbor attack.

1945 Epe freed (by corporal G van Aken)

1949 Republic of Ireland withdraws from British Commonwealth.

1968 London Bridge is sold to US oil company (to be erected in Arizona)

1975 John Lennon gives what becomes his final public performance at a gala salute to British media mogul Lew Grade at the Grand Ballroom of the Hilton Hotel, NYC; he performed 3 songs - Little Richard’s “Slippin’ and Slidin’”, Ben E. King’s “Stand By Me”, and closed with his own “Imagine”

1994 Former US President Richard Nixon suffers a stroke and passes away 4 days later.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote