View Single Post
Old 04-25-17, 06:08 PM   #2050
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Thanks, although that's what is being replaced. The new U-51 Class has a much higher poly count and is coming along fine. Real grooves in the deck, hand rails, rivets on the Conning Tower, and more.

I am preparing a series of Info Graphics to be used as load screens .... if you pay attention while playing WOTK, you guys might learn something.

The statistics are not pleasant.

I leave you with some sobering numbers:

Worldwide Tonnage Destroyed by U-Boats: 12,000,000 Tons Sunk

Allied Tonnage Lost: 6,692,000 Tons Sunk

British, Allied, & Neutral Merchants Lost: 5,708 Sunk

Royal Navy Warships Lost: 112 Sunk

British Merchant Passenger & Crew Deaths: 13,333 Killed

Royal Navy Crew Deaths: 5,400 Killed (Approximate)

Non-British Merchant & Naval Deaths: 27,000 Killed (Approximate)

Total Loss of Life from U-Boat Attack: 45,700 Killed (Approximate)

U-Boats Lost: 178 Sunk

U-Boat Crew Deaths: 5,409 Killed

U-Boat Crew Fatality Rate: Over 33%

At first I though that the 27,000 non-British dead was an exaggeration; upon further research it may be UNDERSTATED. Keep in mind that on Uboat.net and many other databases, deaths listed are incorrect. Sometimes, in the records, deaths are left blank or listed as "0" when a ship was lost with all hands - if a crew list, etc was missing or never filed, it meant an exact death toll could not be established.

Also keep in mind that, in many cases, a ship simply failed to show up, and the submarine that sank it was also lost before it could report.

U-Boat men and Merchant Mariners had some of the deadliest jobs in WWI.

Spare a thought for those of all nations who, from 1914 to 1918, left port not knowing if they would return home again.

May the German, British, and others who never made it home RIP.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote