Old 04-03-14, 07:05 PM   #94
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango589 View Post
Hi Geoff,

What's the maximum range of the passive sonar? I've tried to hunt ships completely submerged using it, but I find you have to be quite close (about as close as you have to be for ships to show up on the tactical screen) before the sonar detects them. Maybe it's just me not understanding the operational ranges, so any info is useful.

cheers.
Information about the range of modern military sonar is very hard to find, as I'm sure you can imagine! And from what I have found, the range of sonar is hugely variable anyway, depending on sea conditions, the material on the bottom of the ocean etc. At the moment the passive sonar on your submarine will start detecting faint signals at around 16 nautical miles (each square on the map is 13.3 nautical miles). So if you're moving fairly slowly, it should be possible to identify ships slightly outside visual range. I'll probably tweak this to extend the maximum range a bit next version, maybe to 20 nautical miles. From what I've read, the detection range of modern sonar can vary from about 5NM to more than 100NM depending on the skill of the operator and the weather conditions - so until I get around to coding a more realistic sonar model, I think around 20NM in all conditions is a reasonable value.

Quote:
Looks a bit like dwarf fortress.

Sails out and dives. Crash into the sea floor. Surfaces again. Use the sonar. The sonar is on fire. Put out sonar fire. Read radio message. Look at map. Notice a fire in the torpedo room, send crew. All of torpedo room and crew on fire.

Hard as dwarf fortress also
Quote:
Yeah, but that's why we love it! Where else could you deal with simultaneous hull breach, flooding and a fire as well as an overheating reactor and just when you thought it was getting a bit dull the fire extinguisher system in the generator room malfunctions and threatens to suffocate your crew? Nothing like a relaxing bit of gameplay to while away the afternoon!
Someone should really talk to the guys at the shipyard who keep building these terrible accident-prone submarines
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote