View Single Post
Old 10-13-17, 09:39 PM   #11
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
I launch everything in passive mode out to its self-listening (passive) point. The reason I do this is so that I can drive the torpedo in another direction and then turn it towards the target. If the target detects it, it is coming from a direction that I am not at. Hopefully, a helo will follow the track backwards and look for me in the wrong place.

But, the torpedo is now coming from a new direction and I do my own analysis as to when I turn it active. Usually, I am 3-4k and the torpedo sniffs it and heads it in the targets direction. Then I let it go active if my wire is still connected. Throughout the late process the torpedo is sending info back for updating the picture.

Again, I am still amazed that Russian CAPTs don't fire down the torpedo's approach bearing. Usually they are all just running away at the slightest detection of a torpedo or my boat.

I have no respect for those CAPTs. I think I should. Combat commanders don't run. They over come.
Well there's a good chance I may be mistaken on this but I was always under the impression (maybe its only for the ADCAPs?) that the Mk 48 functioned primarily as a passive/active torpedo, which is to say you would fire it, it would transit to its enable position, turn on and begin searching for a contact passively and then speed up and go active once its target was acquired and use that for the terminal homing phase.