Old 03-04-15, 12:08 PM   #70
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
@nsomnia
I do not have experience with node-based development, I never jumped on the Playmaker bandwagon, but I do see it's value for quickly prototyping. Perhaps when my work-load decreases in April I can afford some spare time to play with Unreal.
Its giving me weird errors when I try to add you to steam. Will attempt again later. Otherwise im nsomnia (altough my username is ssa_nsomnia if that doesntwork) and I'm now using Skype for business, username: blendertek

Got alot done on the hull will post pics in a bit!

Edit: Woke up at 4 am thats why I got the hull patched up. This photo is the raw geometry and the top one is just basic diffuse color with a smoothing modifier since there are still some wrinkles in the topology especially around the hull and where the deck bevels aft into the pressure hull. I cant texture her yet because If I change any topology then Id have to retexture that part. So I'm going to play with it when I have time to perfect it. For now though I _almost_ have a game ready Nautilus. The bow planes need doing, I just stole those ones off my U-Boat model from my old game, same with the props and their shafts I did the same. So I need to make the moveable surfaces and make then animated then I can bring it into an unreal project and start for real! Pretty high quality placeholder LOL.

I had to spend 3 hours this morning from 9-11 am answering emails and making videos for my channel so I havn't got as much done as I'd like. By this weekend v1.0 will be ready though for in-game use. When I get sick of modelling I'm going to watch UE4 videos so I can start learning more, as I said I really didn't like Unity 5 as much as I thought I would and was gonna swap back for C# but said screw it I'm alraedy a third of the way through the C++ basics book, plus Blueprinting is a replacement for scripting it "is" C# kind've. Once you learn the API (if your coding) and the few differences with UE4 its actually a real easy switch. I might make the mobile version in Unity.

Edit: I added a ton of "issues" (features needed) to the issue tracker so that we know how far we are to completion of each release. Going to add more as I think of them but got the major ones added. Alpha 0.01 is 5% complete according to it now. I wish I had team members that could assign themselves to issues

Edit2: Local hobby shop went out of business. Spent some of the game budget on "research and development"

Edit3: Getting away from the exterior and going back to finishing off some compartments. I really wanna get this into the engine but for some reason I'm hesitating. Its like the feeling driving the first time you wanna do it but its scary. And I dont know I'm having this problem, I'm not doing anything in Unity either. Probably cause im spending so much time learning C++ when I should be watching UE4 courses.

Edit4: The crews qtrs + torpedo room (Bow compartment) turned into a mess. At least I got the measurments so I'm going to redo it and build it like a house with walls and floors and then build a pressure hull around it later as a "roof" since you wont see outside of that anyway, when you exit a hatch it will load the exterior model.

I'm done for today though. 12 hours of work.

Remaining immediate goals:
a) Finish the general layout of the other compartments - Thurs/Fri
b) Start an unreal project - Fri/Sat/Sun
c) Get an explorable, driveable ghost-ship Nautilus - Next week.
d) start work on russian subs from the era
e) start work on game logic
f) start work on the game intro

Last edited by nsomnia; 03-05-15 at 12:18 AM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote