View Single Post
Old 11-09-10, 08:13 AM   #25
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones100 View Post
Guys I have tried out exporting an existing 3d model of the Richelieu battleship in order to try out a few things such as making a super-Richelieu ship with double the size of the original ship model's hull. I used the 3d modeling software called Softimage XSI and it imports existing 3d models with relative ease as well as allowing for the quick rescaling etc of the imported 3d model. When I saved the newly uniformed scaled model and reimported it back into the 3deditor software, it worked perfectly when I tested out from the software's render viewport window. However what I would like to ask guys who have more experience about such 3d modeling/texturing work is what can be done to prevent the original texture from coming out stretched/squashed in various places on the rendered 3d model if I just try and perform a non-uniform scale of the model along one coordinate axis instead of a full uniformed scaled along all 3 axes when say I want to just lengthen the existing hull of a ship instead of performing a full whole uniformed scale.
You will probably have to re-UV map the 3d object to prevent these distortions. This can be difficult because large, complex models can sometimes crash your 3d modeling program. For wings3d, which I use, you right click the faces that you want retextured and select "UV Mapping" from the tab that appears. A 2d arrangement of the UV map will then pop up, and you can adjust it to your satisfaction. Wings3d lets you apply the texture to the model as it's rendered so that you can see what it will look like ingame - most other programs probably have this feature, too.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote