View Single Post
Old 05-15-12, 10:00 PM   #10
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Funk View Post
Someone should start a poll: How many episodes in before someone starts an unauthorized romantic relationship and joins the unofficial "One Mile Under" club?

If I were ever to have faith in a TV drama about anything military I would have to check to see if its on HBO or Showtime or FX or AMC. Mainstream networks seem incapable of running shows that are actually serious/not full of silly romance. I mean.. .what if this becomes Crimson Tide meets The Unit?....

With that said, I find the concept so enticing I'm going to hold my breath until the pilot. If someone can confirm a really good writer or showrunner for the show then maybe I can even begin to show some optimism.

I think that if you're going to look for naval accuracy, forget it. The Navy won't have anything to do with this and there's only so much you can get from wikipedia.

From the trailer I've watched here:

(The one Vienna posted isn't viewable in old Blighty)

I'd say that accuracy is not a chief target, for one thing having a rumba party in a boomer on patrol...can't see it happening, even if they are crossing the equator. Besides, King Neptune would not approve of a lack of sacrifices...
Then there's the cruise missile attack...on a submarine.
Not to mention the whole Crimson Tide issue of whether the CO of the Boomer has ultimate launch authority, which I do not believe they do because of the risk of someone launching due to miscommunication. After all, the US has back-ups of back-ups of its command structure, including NAOC, TACAMO, and PACCs so in the event of NORAD and SAC being knocked out (which if the missiles flew they would have) there would still be a command authority to authorise SLBM attacks, thus removing the need to have the CO able to fire independently and removing the risk of a rogue CO, which...if I'm honest, would have to be at the level of Marko Ramius in terms of familiarity with his crew in order not to be removed from command and have the boat return to port.

In short, like most submarine films we watch, disengage the bit of your brain that knows all these things and just enjoy the drama.

Yeah, Yeah, I know...that bit of the brain doesn't disengage...my wife has taken to threatening me with violence whenever I start to take a movie apart...

EDIT: Oh, and TLAM, do you have any links? Would be interested in watching it myself...was quite fond of Zipang and impressed by the detail. Heck, even High School of the Dead (for all its fan service) was quite accurate with its portrayal of military matters...
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote