View Single Post
Old 09-07-17, 04:49 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Honestly said I think the interest is - well, see the many replies.

Beyond that, Wine is corrupting one of Linux signature features, that is security. You can catch Windows malware while
running Wine, that is why it is often recommended to not use Wine. Even if it does not attack your Linux, it infests your
saved data, texts, photos, these then are "sleepers" - and if you ever put them on a stick or send them via mail and the
receiver is a Windows user, then he got it - all inclusive, and the sleeping stuff awakens. Meanwhile, while sleeping, it
nevertheless may spread from your Linux system. Windows malware can also infest apps under Linux, waiting for an
opportunity that the carrier system is connecting to a Windows system in any way - and then infests the target Windows
machine via this app becomign active on Linux.

At least do not run Wine on Linux without a Virus scanner that is capable for both Linux and especially Windows.

Last time I read about such scanners, many failed and especially all the free ones - that often get recommended in
forums - are useless if not dangerous.

^ Valid in autumn 2015 !

For gamers, two system or dual boot solutions are the way to go. Windows or consoles exclusively for gaming, Linux for everything else. Save yourself
the hassle.

https://www.av-test.org/en/news/news...t-to-the-test/

Quote:
As Linux PCs are increasingly used to connect Windows PCs, they ought to use a security package as well. The
lab at AV-TEST put 16 current security solutions to the test under Ubuntu – against Linux and Windows threats. The
result is bitter for several products: for some, 85% of the Windows malware goes through unrecognized, and up to
75% of pure Linux malware remains undetected.
The invulnerability of Linux to Malware, is a myth. It gets less
often attacked - and that is all.

P.S. Many users do not know, it seems, that Linux Mint comes with an inbuild firewall. It is - stupidly - switched off by
default and must be manually switched on.

P.S. I use the default firewall on Mint, and Eset Nod32 Antivirus under Linux. I may occasionally switch between my two
platforms and transfer data via usb stick. So for me it indeed makes double sense to use a scanner that is capable both
under Windows and Linux.

Last edited by Skybird; 09-07-17 at 07:16 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote