View Single Post
Old 02-13-14, 01:23 PM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Question 1:
I don't know exactly where Steam stores the games on your system. But you need to take a look at the file-properties of the SH4.exe executable. Take a look at the details tab of the file properties page. It should give the actual version.

I suspect it can be found in "c:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 4"

since ...\Steam\steamapps\common\ is where all my Steam-games are, but I personally made Steam keep it's storage folder out of the default "Program Files" folder. It helps to keep Windows UAC of my back.

If not, then just make Explorer search your entire C-drive for the file sh4.exe. And right-click on it and choose properties.

Question 2:

AOB is the angle between the target bow or course, and the viewing line towards your sub. So from his point of view!. Or alternatively on the map: between the target's course, and the line from him to you.

So you have 2 options:

1: Learn how to associate the looks of a target through a periscope (how are the structures on it positioned against one another) against a known AOB. And then extrapolate between it. This is a matter of learning and experience. But can be helped by making a custom mission with just a dormant ship in the sea, and you sailing around it (submerged) looking at it from different vantage points.

You can also use the skewed images in the recognition manual to help approximate which AOB angle it is. AOBs greater than 90 degrees are facing and moving away. So you may not want to go after those. But it is important that you learn to recognize those too. Aft facing sections are usually not visible when viewing from the front. And side-views can either show the rear facing wall, or the front of something. So that helps narrowing down AOB >90 or <90.

2: As CapnScurvy already suggested, make use of plotting on the map. The target bow is obviously pointed along it's course. If you can plot where the target is currently at along that line, then by using a line from your your boat to his direction (known as a true bearing line= your course + crew report or periscope bearing), then you can measure the Angle on the (Target) Bow. There are tools for that on the navigation map.

So that arduous work of plotting the target's position, leading to his course line drawn on the map makes the rest of the targeting work much more easy. But once you are spotted, map drawings loose their meaning as the target changes course.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote